Audio Library & Magazines
NESS has an extensive collection of audio books on CD and cassette tape and produces three regular audio magazines on CD and memory stick, allowing people with sight loss to continue to enjoy reading. As with all our services there has been some disruption due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, but we are endeavouring to provide as full and regular a service for our listeners as possible.
Library – drop-in and by post
Over 4,000 audio book titles are available through our drop in libraries in Aberdeen and Elgin. We can also post them out to homes throughout North East Scotland. Postage is free.
Membership carries a one-off joining fee of £10.
Free of charge, on CD or memory stick, for people with a sight loss, the audio magazines are posted to your home address in a plastic wallet which you then use to return the magazine when you would like the next edition.
- 'Bon-A-Talk' – our magazine featuring interviews and updates on events, equipment, services etc.
- 'Leopard' goes out monthly and features articles from the print edition of Scottish Field Magazine.
- 'Hameower', our fortnightly audio round-up of articles from the Press & Journal newspaper.
To find our more about our audio library and magazines please Contact Us
Talking Newspapers/Magazines in your local area
There are many local talking newspapers & magazines produced by other groups and organisations throughout Scotland - here are details of some in your local area:
- Angus Talking Newspaper Association (ATNA) - Monthly CD with the local news delivered free of charge to blind and visually impaired people. They have teams covering the local newspapers in Arbroath, Brechin, Carnoustie/Monifieth, Forfar/Kirriemuir, and Montrose. Click Here to visit their website for more information.
- Dundee Audio News (DAN) - Regular talking newspaper and magazine on CD and cassette tape for blind and visually impaired people in Dundee and the surrounding areas. For more information Tel 01382 810266 or Email email@example.com
- Ellon Talking Newspaper - weekly recording of local news, mostly from the Ellon Times, distributed free of charge to visually impaired people on USB memory sticks. For more information Tel 01358 720130.
- Garioch Gossip - News from the Inverurie Advertiser and Inverurie Herald read and recorded weekly and sent out free of charge on USB memory stick. Anyone interested to join can email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moray Companion - Monthly recording on cassette tape featuring content from the Press and Journal, Northern Scot and The Scots Magazine. For more information contact David Dick, Tel 01343 543333
- Sound of the Piper (Banchory & District Talking Newspaper) - Weekly recording of news from the Deeside Piper that gets sent out on USB memory stick. For more information email email@example.com
- Speak O’ The Mearns (Stonehaven & District Talking Newspaper Association) - Weekly recording of selected articles from the Mearns Leader sent out free of charge on USB memory stick. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Talking Banffie and Turra Talk Association - Weekly recordings from ‘The Banffshire Journal’ and ‘The Turriff Advertiser’ newspapers, sent out on CD. For more information Tel 01467 536568 or email email@example.com