This page provides some guidance about finding your way round our home page. It also provides information and advice to help you to access the website.
Navigating our Home Page
The home page includes 9 blocks or sections. There is a search box in the top right hand corner if you want to search for a particular topic. Please note that the search field works best with a single search term e.g. visual impairment.
The sections in the home page are:
- Mission Statement “Achieving independence for blind and deaf people”
- 3 photos of activities at NESS
- How we help section – this section includes a BSL video of the content of the Home Page and a summary of the kind of support NESS provides
- Services we offer – this is a series of links to pages about the wide range of services that NESS delivers
- Find a Service – this section allows you to search for the services that are delivered in a particular area of the North East of Scotland. The search produces a list of links to take you directly to the page that you want
- Latest news – this section shows the 2 most recent news items that NESS has added, and a link to all of our news items
- Donate – a link to our Donate page
- A link to our Book an Interpreter page
- A link to our Contact us page
- Our footer – this includes other information including About Us, Find Us, Site map, Terms and Conditions, and our contact details.
We use ReCaptcha to keep our website safe. Recaptcha asks you to complete a visual or an audio test to prove that you are a human and not a "bot". You can renew the test any time. If you are finding it difficult to complete the ReCaptcha you can use your tab button to go past the ReCaptcha and go straight to our email address on the Contact Us page.
Help accessing our website
The NESS website has been tested and works well with commonly used speech browsers such as JAWS and magnification software such as Zoomtext. If you do not have added software for speech or magnification and are finding it difficult to read our website, the BBC’s “My web my way” pages show how you can change the settings on your computer to:
- Use speech software
- Change the size and style of the font
- Change the colour of the text and the background colour
- Switch subtitles on youtube videos on or off
We have tried to make our website as accessible as possible so that it can be accessed in the way that you need to access it. We believe that the accessibility is built into the way our website has been written, structured and designed. The following features apply:
- Black text on white background
- Alt text included for all images and videos
- Styles sheets and headings used for web pages for ease of use by speech programmes
- Layouts that support the use of magnification software
- Plain English text
- British Sign Language (BSL) videos included where possible
- All videos have subtitles
We are committed to making sure our website is as accessible as possible and have taken care at every stage of the website design to test the website. We recognise that there will be improvements that can be made and welcome any comments or feedback that would help improve the NESS website. You can share comments or feedback about the website via our Contact Us page.