Sensory Awareness Training
NESS aims to raise awareness of the practical and emotional impact of sensory loss, including Deafness.
We are delighted to announce the launch of our new online Sensory Awareness Training. Combining e-learning with a video conference, the online training is designed to replicate our whole day’s training as closely as possible while maintaining everybody’s safety.
NESS’s Sensory Awareness Training gives you the information, confidence and skills to be supportive of someone living with a sensory loss, that is someone who is living with a sight and/or hearing loss.
Once you have completed the training you will:
- Be aware of the range of ways vision is affected by sight loss
- Be aware of the different degrees of deafness and the different ways these impact on communication
- Be aware of the practical and emotional barriers that affect people living with a sensory loss day to day
- Understand the different mobility techniques that someone who is visually impaired might use
- Understand basic sighted guiding skills
- Be aware of how to communicate more effectively with someone with a hearing loss
- Understand what British Sign Language is and who uses it
- Understand the communication and information needs of people who are visually impaired, living with a hearing loss or who use British Sign Language as their first language.
- Be aware of some of the daily living aids and technology that someone with a sensory loss might use to maintain their independence.
How is the training being delivered?
We have created an e-learning course, which is hosted on NESS’s own training site. The training is broken down into Visual Awareness and Deaf Awareness and includes a range of materials, including quizzes, videos and exercises. The e-learning includes a video conference during which you will explore the practical and emotional impact of sensory loss in a small group, ask questions and share your learning with others.
Booking your place
You can book your place by selecting the date you want to attend the video conference and completing the Booking Form online. This will allow us to place you in a group with others who will join you at the video conference.
Once we have received your booking, we will send you joining instructions for the e-learning on NESS’s training website. Please note, it may take a few days for the information to be sent to you. If you have not heard from us within a week, please get in touch by phoning NESS on 0345 271 2345 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paying for your training
- If you are employed by the Aberdeen Health and Social Care Partnership, Moray Health and Social Care Partnership or Angus Health and Social Care Partnership (that is you are employed by the Local Authorities or NHS in those areas) you do not have to pay for the training. As part of our contracts with the Health and Social Care Partnerships in those areas we have funding to deliver training to employees of the HSCPs.
- If are employed by another public, private or third sector organisation, the training costs £40 per person. Please give us the name and address of your employer on the booking form, and an invoice will be sent for payment.
Completing the training
The e-learning module is hosted on NESS’s training website and we will send you the log in for the site with your joining instructions. You can work your way through the e-learning in your own time. It should take about 6 hours in total, and we recommend doing a little bit at a time. We recommend you completing the e-learning prior to joining the video conference.
Further instructions will be shared with you once you are logged into the training.
To book onto the training please select the date and time of the video conference that you would like to attend. This can be changed at a later date.