Sensory Awareness Training
NESS aims to raise awareness of the practical and emotional impact of sensory loss, including Deafness.
Our Sensory Awareness Training combines e-learning with a video conference, and is designed to replicate our whole day’s training as closely as possible while maintaining everybody’s safety.
NESS’s Sensory Awareness Training gives you the information, confidence and skills to be supportive of someone living with a sensory loss, that is someone who is living with a sight and/or hearing loss.
Once you have completed the training you will:
- Be aware of the range of ways vision is affected by sight loss
- Be aware of the different degrees of deafness and the different ways these impact on communication
- Be aware of the practical and emotional barriers that affect people living with a sensory loss day to day
- Understand the different mobility techniques that someone who is visually impaired might use
- Understand basic sighted guiding skills
- Be aware of how to communicate more effectively with someone with a hearing loss
- Understand what British Sign Language is and who uses it
- Understand the communication and information needs of people who are visually impaired, living with a hearing loss or who use British Sign Language as their first language.
- Be aware of some of the daily living aids and technology that someone with a sensory loss might use to maintain their independence.
How is the training being delivered?
The e-learning aspect of the training is hosted on NESS’s training website. The training is broken down into Visual Awareness and Deaf Awareness and includes a range of materials, including quizzes, videos and exercises. Once you have worked your way through the e-learning, you will take part in a video conference to discuss some of the content, share your experiences of sensory loss and ask any questions you may have. This is designed to be interactive and to replicate some of the discussion that would happen naturally at face to face training.
Booking your place
You can book your place by selecting the date you want to attend the video conference and completing the Booking Form (opens in a new window) online. This will allow us to place you in a group with others who will join you at the video conference.
Once we have received your booking, we will send you joining instructions for the e-learning on NESS’s training website. Please note, it may take a few days for the information to be sent to you. If you have not heard from us within a week, please get in touch by phoning NESS on 0345 271 2345 or emailing email@example.com.
Paying for your training
- If you work for the public or third sector in Aberdeen, the cost of the training is covered by the Aberdeen See Hear Strategy Fund.
- If you are employed by Moray Health and Social Care Partnership or Angus Health and Social Care Partnership (that is you are employed by the Moray Council or Angus Council, or employed by NHS Grampian in Moray, or NHS Tayside in Angus) you do not have to pay for the training. As part of our contracts with the Health and Social Care Partnerships in Angus and Moray, we have funding to deliver training to employees of the HSCPs. This only applies to people who are employed by the NHS or Council in those areas.
- If are employed by another public or third sector organisation in Angus or Moray, the training costs £40 per person. Please give us the name and address of your employer on the booking form, and an invoice will be sent for payment.
- If you work for a private company, the cost of the training is £60 per person to attend.
Completing the training
The e-learning module is hosted on NESS’s training website and we will send you the log-in for the site with your joining instructions. You can work your way through the e-learning in your own time. It should take about 4- 6 hours in total, and we recommend doing a little bit at a time. We recommend you completing the e-learning prior to joining the video conference.
The video conference will take part on Microsoft Teams. A Teams invite will be sent out nearer the date of the video conference.
You can book your place on the training by completing the Booking Form (opens in a new window). Please select which date you would like to attend for the video conference.